Provide support to help you manage your diabetes. Everyone can thrive with diabetes.
Referral to our service for:
- A new diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Understanding the relationship between your body, differing foods, exercise and medications and how to get the best possible health outcomes for you.
- Learning how to use blood glucose meter and interpret blood glucose and HbA1c results.
- Learning how to use injectables with confidence.
- If you’re feeling worried or confused about your diabetes, or to discuss changes in treatment.
A diabetes Educator can help with all this and more. Managing diabetes at any stage of life can be overwhelming. Research shows that a diabetes Educator can help to improve diabetes, heart health and emotional health.
What to expect
- We will undertake comprehensive diabetes assessment during initial consultation. Please bring any medication list, pathology, list of questions (if you have some), and your blood glucose meter with you.
- Depending on assessment, this may be followed up by phone or clinic appointments. For some clients with limited mobility, home visits may be undertaken.
You do not need a GP referral to see a Diabetes Educator. You can self-refer through our Referral & Intake team on 9450 2000. Referrals to our service are prioritised according to level of need; therefore, some people may have to wait longer than others for the service.
- Low income: $10
- Medium income: $15
- High income: $100
To find out how much you may have to pay, please contact Referral & Intake on 9450 2000.
*BCHS does not provide Diabetes Education Services for Gestational Diabetes or for children under the age of eighteen years.
*This service is only available at West Heidelberg site.
Diabetes Support Group
We also have a Diabetes Support Group which provides information and support for people living with diabetes.
The group provides and opportunity for community members to meet, make new friends, share healthy and nutritious refreshments and learn more about managing their condition.
Diabetes Australia – information and advice.