A series of nutrition talks for parents and carers of children under five.
Gold coin donation (if possible)
The program aims to assist families in establishing healthy eating and encouraging active play in preschool children to prevent overweight and obesity.
The talks are run by a paediatric dietitian, with presentations by a physiotherapist and an occupational therapist on physical activity and active play.
Term 1 session dates: 21st January, 28th January, 11th February, 25th February, 10th March, 24th March and 7th April.
- Best age to start solids. Reducing food allergy risk.
- Transition from spoon-feeding to finger food and family food.
- Preventing choking. Easy, healthy family meal ideas.
- Making and storing baby food. Using bottles and cups.
- Other topics: organic vs conventionally grown food, vegetarian diets for mums and babies, baby lead weaning. Best drinks for toddlers.
Term 1 session dates: 18th February and 17th March
- How much and what foods toddlers need each day.
- Why toddler’s appetites vary from day to day and how to manage this.
- How eating with your child helps teach healthy eating habits.
- Division of responsibility at mealtimes: ‘Parents provide, children decide’.
- Easy & nutritious meal, snack, and lunchbox ideas.
- “Everyday” and “sometimes” foods. Best drinks for children.
- Ideas for active play with your children.
- Children’s speech development.
Fuelling your body & exercise after pregnancy
Term 1 session dates: 3rd March.
- How much and what foods mums need while breastfeeding.
- Eating well for health after pregnancy.
- Meal planning and shopping tips for healthy family meals.
- Developing healthy family eating habits.
- Exercise after pregnancy for a strong back and pelvic floor.
Where: Banyule Community Health. 21 Alamein Road, West Heidelberg, VIC 3081
Cost: Gold coin donation, if you can
You are welcome to bring your children along too.